Akado Women’s Group
Akado Women’s Group, Mbita Kenya
The hallmark of the Akado Women’s Group is that all the programs are interrelated and developed through input from the local residents. These efforts include:
- Counseling and awareness building about the disease, about the modes of transmission and also de-mystifying local myths.
- Prevention efforts and distribution of free condoms.
- Medical testing of women and children, prenatal care and counseling, overall health-care counseling and provision of dietary supplements.
- HIV testing including pre and post-test counseling.
- Community-based program of caring for those suffering from full-blown AIDS in their homes.
- Economic development programs for women.
- Orphan education and feeding program.