Family Care Foundation partner: Akado Women’s Group, Mbita Kenya
The hallmark of the Akado Women’s Group is that all the programs are interrelated and developed through input from the local residents. These efforts include:
- Counseling and awareness building about the disease, about the modes of transmission and also de-mystifying local myths.
- Prevention efforts and distribution of free condoms.
- Medical testing of women and children, prenatal care and counseling, overall health-care counseling and provision of dietary supplements.
- HIV testing including pre and post-test counseling.
- Community-based program of caring for those suffering from full-blown AIDS in their homes.
- Economic development programs for women.
- Orphan education and feeding program. Read more