Family Care partner: Power of Love, Lusaka Zambia
The Power of Love Foundation is formed around a simple belief: that the battle against the AIDS epidemic, the greatest humanitarian crisis in the history of man, can be won.
The central philosophy of their grassroots program, Arm’s Reach Care (ARC), “Everyone A Caregiver,” emphasizes providing maximum care at or as close to home as possible. Using a tiered structure comprising of Family Care Givers, Community Care Assistants and a mobile Nurse, the ARC program delivers a package of critical services to HIV+ infants and children at a low cost/child/year.
Power of Love launched its Arm’s Reach Care program in Matero compound, a large sprawling slum in Lusaka, Zambia in 2004. POL empowers women (many of whom are grandmothers caring for several orphaned children) and makes them self-reliant through a three-pronged approach:
– Train women to care for their HIV-infected children and orphans,
– Provide women with micro-loans and business training to generate income, and
– Provide food, medicines, and a package of life-saving healthcare services to the children in their care.
Other FCF Programs:
- Family Care Medical Relief
- Family Care Orphans & Street Kids Program
- Family Care Women’s Empowerment
- Family Care Hunger Relief
- Family Care Education Program
- Family Care Computer Literacy
- Family Care Drug Awareness
- Family Care Emergency Relief
- Family Care Facebook and Twitter
- Family Care founder Grant Montgomery
- Global Responsibility
- International Aid
- North Korean Refugees